Experts Plug Employee Benefits
Minimizing turnover while maximizing employee production two
prospects that can surely benefit any design firm’s bottom line may
simply be a result of looking at the employee benefits offered.
That’s the belief of Matt Angle of Designer Kitchens, Inc. and
Tomas Goode of Santa Cruz Kitchen & Bath, a pair of
dealer-members of the Bath & Kitchen Buying Group (BKBG) who
addressed BKBG members at a recent educational conference sponsored
by the member-owned co-op.
They suggested several benefits which may entice employees.
Consider the following:
- Offer a “Personal Use” policy where employees can purchase
items through the company at 10% over the company cost plus any tax
- Set up designated days off and establish a set number of sick
days for employees.
- Supply things like cell phones, gas allowance and car allowance
for employees who travel to job sites or appointments
- Offer both medical and dental insurance.
- Provide sales incentives, such as trips for meeting quotas, or
pay in full for events such as the Kitchen/Bath Industry Show.
- Consider leasing computers and other equipment as an added
benefit for employees.
Another practical idea is to involve the firm’s sales team and
have them participate in the selection and the design of showroom
The pair also noted that a 90-day probation period for new hires