BLANTON, PA — Rasmussen/Su Architects of Philadelphia, PA has been awarded the grand prize in BlueStar’s annual design competition. This contest recognizes designers, architects, builders and remodelers from across the country and shows how performance, color and customization come together to create a bespoke, highly functional and luxurious kitchen space, notes the firm.
“The BlueStar design competition celebrates talented kitchen designers who are pushing the boundaries of color and creativity to help their clients realize their dream kitchens,” said Eliza Sheffield, president, BlueStar.
Grand prize winner Rasmussen/Su is an award-winning architecture firm specializing in custom residential design. Working together since 1995, firm principals Kevin C. Rasmussen AIA LEED AP and Vivian M. Su LEED AP bring diverse backgrounds and a collaborative spirit to the design process. The award-winning eat-in transitional galley kitchen features light wide-plank oak floors, dark blue Shaker cabinets and a 60″ BlueStar RNB range with a Manhattan kitchen hood.
“We often are working on old townhomes in Philadelphia and it’s always a dimensional challenge to maximize functionality, light and space, and make it feel connected to the rest of the house. This kitchen is only a little over 14’ in width, but by expanding the views and consolidating closed storage we made it feel like an expansive kitchen, with the gorgeous 60″ BlueStar range as the centerpiece,” said designer Vivian Su.
The Grand Prize winner receives BlueStar appliances for his/her home kitchen and the title BlueStar Kitchen Designer of the Year.
Five finalists also were honored for their designs and use of BlueStar appliances:
- Angela Free and Lillian Byers, Angela Free Design, San Francisco, CA
- Steven Cooper, Cooper Pacific Kitchens, West Hollywood, CA
- Hillary Gilkey, HGC Development Group, Tampa, FL
- Carolyn Michaelson, Carolyn Michaelson, RA LEED AP, Covington, KY
- Karen Swanson, New England Design Works, Gloucester, MA
- The judging panel included Regan Baker, Regan Baker Design, San Francisco, CA; Caroline Smith, Caroline V. Smith Interiors, Memphis, TN, the 2019 Design Competition winner; and Lynn Kloythanomsup, Landed Interiors & Homes, Berkeley, CA and last year’s Grand Prize winner.
The 2022 competition is open for entries from now through July 20, 2022. A minimum of one BlueStar cooking appliance as the primary cooking appliance is required. Ranges, rangetops, refrigerators, gas and electric ovens and cooktops meet this requirement. Official rules and entry criteria can be found https://bit.ly/2LDUeCy. For general product information, visit BlueStarcooking.com.