The ultimate power weapon in design, lighting is an element that makes or breaks the way a kitchen looks and functions. Like the right jewelry for an outfit, lighting can act as the perfect accessory to a design. Or, if preferred, lighting can take a back seat, illuminating other elements in the space to allow them to shine.
When statement lighting is called for, designers have their pick of styles – from rustic to traditional to sleek. The advent of LED has given rise to a new wave of shapes that add impact, and has also delivered long-lasting life at optimum energy efficiency.
Following are some of the trends in kitchen lighting right now:
- Pendant lighting is now available in a range of sizes to accommodate larger islands and provide illumination for the prep tasks below.
- LEDs are leading the way, with color adjustments and client control making them more usable than ever before.
- Pendants are all about color, as designers use lighting to adds pops of bold tones to even the most neutral-hued designs.
- Materials run the gamut, from paper and rope to leather and wood being used to add a definitive style.
- Playful shapes are surging in kitchen lighting, as drop pendants, globes and linear styles get turned on their heads in new configurations.
- Metals are still surging, with copper, pewter and painted surfaces with gold interiors being used to make a statement.