Showers have come a long way in design, from a basic area adorned with standard subway tile and heavy framed doors to an oasis adorned with spectacular tile and advanced shower systems showcased through stunning frameless glass surrounds. In keeping with this trend, many homeowners are removing seldom-used tubs to expand their showers, making them the focal point of the space.
While frameless shower doors remain the most popular versions, doors that feature etched designs, decorative borders and patterns are also garnering significant attention. Whether the design is contemporary or traditional, there is a shower enclosure to fit the space.
Below are some of the hottest trends in shower enclosures.
• Many clear shower enclosures are designed with minimal hardware for a streamlined look, creating a sense of openness in the bath.
• Frames, trims and handles are offered in a range of finishes, from the more standard chrome and polished nickel to the more current brushed brass and rose gold.
• As boomers adapt their homes to become safer and physically more accessible as they age, low-threshold and barrier-free showers are gaining in popularity, and easy-to-use and push-to-open shower doors are garnering more attention.
• Taller shower enclosures (at least 76”) are popular for their ability to take advantage of floor-to-ceiling tile designs.
• Matte black is featured in many gridscape and trim elements, coordinating with bath fittings in similar finishes.
• Frosted glass and distinctive patterns that blur the interior and deliver privacy to the bather are among the requests from today’s homeowners.